Hot stone massage
Hot stone massage has been used by many cultures around the world for many centuries in order to promote a sense of well being and relaxation. Smooth basalt rocks which are volcanic on origin are heated in a water bath and used during this massage to penetrate deep into the body’s tissues, soothing and easing tired and tense muscle. The heat of the stones penetrates deep in to the muscle to relax 5 – 5 times quicker than a standard body massage. The deep relaxation and increased blood flow to the areas being worked not only accelerates any healing process but also creates a state of deep mental relaxation.
What are the benefits of Hot Stone massage?
- Improved circulation
- Increased lymphatic drainage
- Improved blood flow to tissues
- Reduces muscular tension
- Relieves aches and pains
- Reduces stress and anxiety
- Produces a deep relaxation
- Breast feeding
- Heat sensitivity
- Skin disorders/ diseases
- Aplastic Anemia or any cancer that causes internal bleeding of organs
- Broken skin
- Deep vein thrombosis
- Varicous veins
- Pre or post surgery
- Low platelet count
- Heart condition
If you are unsure of any medical condition then please contact Ora beauty or your GP before making your appointment.
During the treatment you will be asked to remove you clothing and relax in the treatment bed, towels will be place over your body while the massage is taking place. A full body massage incorporates the back, backs of legs, and fronts of legs, arms and face. Pre blended aromatherapy body oil is used to nourish the skin.
- Drink lots of water and herbal infusions to flush out toxins for 24 hours; massage aids the removal of toxins from the body.
- Avoid heavy meals and processed foods for 12 hours.
- Do not shower or bathe directly after a treatment for at least 6-8 hours. The essential oils used need to penetrate the skin in order to be absorbed into the system to achieve optimum results.
- Rest as much as possible.
The healing crisis
- You may experience a feeling of tiredness or fatigue following a massage, In some cases a headache may follow
- You may feel emotional, it is quite natural to feel tearful
- Increased urination or flu-like symptoms (runny nose, coughing) may be experienced
- These will be temporary as the body re balances itself and will replaced by a feeling of well being
Hopi Ear Candles
Auricular Therapy candle or Hopi ear candling is a complementary therapy and is not a cure, however it has been used in many cultures for thousands of years for its therapeutic, cleansing and purifying effect. Today it is also known for physical benefits in treating ear and sinus problems.
The candle itself is made from natural ingredients, beeswax and herbs with essential oils added to achieve therapeutic results. Recipients often fall asleep during the treatment as the warm air has an effect of giving the eardrum a gentle massage which has a relaxing, calming effect on the whole body. Use can bring relief from the discomfort associated with ear wax build up, sinus congestion, pressure in the ears and headaches.
The treatment begins with a consultation, you will then be asked to lie in the comfortable treatment bed, where temperature will be adjusted to your liking. Whilst lying on your side a candle with be gently inserted into your ear and held in place by your therapist. The candle is then ignited and continuously monitored as it gently burns. Gradually impurities are carried away through the candle and a pleasant slight suction with the ear pressures will be felt. Once the candle has burnt down the process is repeated on the other side. The treatment is finished with a gentle lymphatic drainage massage of the face.
Contraindications (these are reasons that the treatment would not go ahead)
- Perforated ear drum
- Inflammation or infections in the ear
- Known allergies to the ingredients of the candle
- Surgery on the ear in the last 3 months
- Auricular Cysts
- Drains or ventilation tubes fitted
- Known allergies to bees wax/stings
What are the benefits of the Hopi ear candle?
- Improving sense of smell
- Excess wax
- Restoring equilibrium in the ear
How do ear candles work?
- Chimney effect draws out impurities
- Mild heat stimulates blood and lymph circulation boosts immune system, therefore boosting body’s natural cleansing action
- Regulation of pressure within the sinuses.
The practice of Reflexology dates back to ancient times, when pressure therapies were used as preventative and therapeutic medicine. Reflexology is an alternative medicine and will not determine or diagnose medical health issues. However, massaging and applying pressure to parts of the feet can encourage a beneficial effect on the body and improve general health & well being. Reflexology can help to kick start the body’s natural healing process and provides a wonderfully relaxing treatment for both body & Mind.
Your treatment begins with a consultation to determine suitability for treatment. You will then be asked to lie down in the heated bed in an elevated position, cushions and faux fur throws will be positioned to aid comfort and a herbal infused tea will be provided in your choice of flavour. Pressure and Massage are then applied to the entire foot and repeated on the other foot, a chart will be filled out so that progress can be recorded. The treatment will be finished with the application of a soothing foot cream.
If you are on medication, or attending your doctor for any condition his/her consent may be needed before you can receive Reflexology.
- Any contagious skin disorder or skin disease
- Severe psoriasis or eczema on the feet
- Any unrelated severe medical condition or acute pain
- Severe various veins
- Bruising on feet
- Cuts abrasions on feet
- First days of menstruating (reflexology can make periods very heavy)
- Immediately after a heavy meal (leave 2 hours)
- Athletes foot / Verrucas
- Localised swelling/inflammation
- Scar tissue (2 years for major operation, 6 months small scar)
- Hormonal implants
- Recent fractures
- Cervical spondylitis
Contraindications that require GP or medical specialist’s written permission.
- Medication for serious conditions (Reflexology may alter the level of drug in the body)
- Cancer (within 5 years of surgery)
- Recent operations
- Post natal
- Cardiovascular conditions
- Any condition already being treated
- Nervous / psychotic conditions
- Acute rheumatism
- Medical oedema
- Trapped pinched nerve(sciatica) inflamed nerve
- Dysfunction of the nervous system, MS, Parkinson’s disease, motor neurone disease
To allow your Reflexology treatment to be fully beneficial, please avoid the following for the next 25 hours.
- Strenuous activity
- Undertaking a long drive
- Heavy meals
If possible, try and relax for the rest of the day, and try to drink plenty of water. Be aware that you might experience a variety of reactions; usually you will feel relaxed, although you may also experience:
- Aching & soreness within the muscles – this is due to the release of toxins and the body’s nerves responding to the treatment.
- Tiredness – caused by the release of toxins. After the tiredness had gone, you should feel refreshed and energetic.
- Heightened emotions – perhaps even being tearful, this is due to the release of toxins.
Other reactions up to 24-48 hours after treatment –
- Dizziness or nausea
- Disrupted sleeping patterns
- Increased release of mucus in the nose or mouth
These reactions are normal and show that toxins are being expelled from the body, so that it is rebalancing and cleansing itself.
Return to Home Page